Friday, January 4, 2013

The Wizards...

First off sorry for the delay, Christmas break didn't allow me to write much. Also pardon me for this not being a Redskins post, while I bleed burgundy and gold, I must rant about the only terrible team left in Washington!

How does Ernie Grunfeld have a job? Seriously though, as posted by ESPN 980's Thom Loverro, Ernie Grundfeld's reocrd as the Wizards GM is now 288-465. That my friends is a 38% winning percentage. Can you name another GM who is allowed to go on with such a terrible record? Hey Ernie, you can't build a team! Even Gilbert Arenas said he flipped a coin and the Clippers won and he decided to do the opposite. That's called dumb luck. I could have drafted John Wall, but only after I had a bad enough season to give me the #1 pick. How's Jan Vesely doing? Chris Singleton? Sure you got lucky with Seraphin, but he is hardly utilized correctly. Nene is good when he actually plays, why not find a coach with a clue? I liked the deal for Ariza and Okafor, I figured Okafor would add depth and Ariza would teach Singleton, but havent seen Okafor coming off the bench much and both Ariza and Singleton are not playing.

Yea, I wrote about it before but why not trade for James Harden? Yea Beal is finally starting to show some consistency, but Harden can also handle the ball and play point in Wall's absence. Beal's career high is now 23 points, Harden averages about 25 a game. Another great screw up in the Washington Wizards franchise. All the other notable screw ups were bad trades that went through, anyone else remember Mark Price?

The team is 4-27. How is Ted Leonsis letting his team be run by a fool. He has to see this, hockey isn't around to take from his attention. Personally I think Wittman and Grunfeld need to go. Wittman isn't utilizing his players correctly and Grunfeld isn't giving him anyone to play! Let's take the 6th pick in the draft and get a player who can't even get a rebound yet he stands 6'11.

Ted Leonsis needs to clean house if this team is ever going to become a "winner." They have some pieces to the puzzle but are still missing at least two of the corners. I would say the back court is set once Wall comes back, but after that who knows. Wall, Beal, Crawford, and one of Price/Mack/Temple would be solid as backup point guard. I know I showed praise for Singleton earlier, but why is he not playing now? Webster has shown some promise but is he really the starting forward for a playoff team? Clearly they still need help at forward. Seraphin and Nene should be starting at the 4 and 5 spots, but who do you have as backups? Booker is ok but has been hurt, Okafor should be a backup but I don't know that he is the answer.

So what are the options? They screwed up on the Harden deal, the Harden/Wall/Crawford combination would be pretty nice. They are going to have the potential for the top pick in the draft, but with Ernie at the helm we might as well throw a bunch of names in a hat and get lucky. Cody Zeller would seem like a solid pick, but who knows what will happen between now and the draft. The kid is only a sophmore, but in basketball kids are generally one and done on a regular basis (see Kentucky). They have two second rounders, thought those picks don't seem to ever make out in Washington. I would like to see them grab CJ Leslie out of NC State. Sure I am going off an early Mock Draft to give me an idea of who falls where (this mock has the Wizards taking a point guard in the 2nd round), but it is very early at this point. Leslie is 6'8 200lbs and would be the perfect size to possibly be that small forward.

While I don't follow basketball as closely as I once did, I can at least see that there is a big time problem in Washington. Until the problems are fixed the Wizards will continue to set firmly in the cellar. Leonsis is known for loyalty, but this is taking it too far. Get some new blood in the front office and let him pick his coach and players. It can't really get any worse then it already has. I guess you have to hit rock bottom before you can begin to crawl out. Let's just say if the Wizards aren't already 6 ft under rock bottom, they sure are close.

No comments:

Post a Comment