Thursday, December 20, 2012

Is Parker's apology sincere?

After 6 days of silence, ESPN analyst Rob Parker made an apology about his comments to Robert Griffin III. From ESPN.com his apology read like this:

 "I blew it and I'm sincerely sorry. I completely understand how the issue of race in sports is a sensitive one and needs to be handled with great care. This past Thursday I failed to do that. I believe the intended topic is a worthy one. Robert's thoughts about being an African-American quarterback and the impact of his phenomenal success have been discussed in other media outlets, as well as among sports fans, particularly those in the African-American community. The failure was in how I chose to discuss it on First Take, and in doing so, turned a productive conversation into a negative one." Also it continues to say this, " ... I've contacted his agent with hopes of apologizing to Robert directly. As I reflect on this and move forward, I will take the time to consider how I can continue to tackle difficult, important topics in a much more thoughtful manner."

 After reading this a few times and analyzing what was said, I still read it as Parker is just doing as what was told to him by ESPN and he doesn't mean anything of it (his apology). Why is it still a topic worthy of discussion? All Griffin has said is that he doesn't want to be classified as just an African American quarterback. We don't call the Manning brothers white quarterbacks, just quarterbacks. That is all Griffin wants. We always classify African American quarterbacks separately and I honestly don't understand why. Sure only one has won the Super Bowl (Doug Williams), but who cares? It is the only position that is classified in such a manor. Honestly it is the only sport that blows a player's race out of proportion in any one position.

If you asked Santana Moss, "how does it feel to be a black wide receiver?" Chances are some words are going to be exchanged. How about if you ask Tim Tebow, "how does it feel to be a white quarterback?" Even Tebow will look at your like crazy! I just don't understand how or why this is even a matter of discussion. Does anyone in Washington DC care who Griffin votes for? The only thing that matters between Griffin and POTUS is if he is meeting with him after the season ends. Maybe I am the only one here that thinks this, but I think the 30 days given to Rob Parker doesn't do justice. Racist comments have been all over sports for years, especially football, and it needs to end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment